As a Step Up Scholar, you are eligible for special incentives for earning the Board of Education Recogntion Diploma (BOERD).
1. Prioritized Admission to UH System Schools for Scholars
We have secured priority admission to UH Mānoa, UH West O‘ahu, and UH Hilo for Step Up Scholars. Please let us know if youʻve applied to any of these institutions. Please make sure you are on track to earn the Board of Education Recognition Diploma (BOERD) with Honors (3.0 GPA or better). This includes:
- Having completed or being currently enrolled in Expository Writing
- Being on track to complete the Senior Project
- Being enrolled in a 4th year of mathematics
In addition, you must meet the following SAT/ACT requirements:
- UH Mānoa - having achieved a minimum SAT (510/510/510) or ACT (22/22/22) score
- UH Hilo - submission of SAT or ACT scores required
- UH West ‘Oahu - submission of SAT or ACT scores is recommended, but not required unless the cumulative GPA is less than 2.7
Deadline has passed to apply for this incentive: For more information, please call us at 956-3879 or 1-866-808-4327.
2. Prioritized Admission to Hawai‘i Pacific University
Graduates of Hawai‘i public schools applying for admission to Hawai‘i Pacific University will be accepted upon receipt of verification that they have earned the Board of Education Recognition Diploma (BOERD) with honors (3.0 GPA or better), with the exception of certain science-based programs in the College of Natural Sciences. Students planning to be science majors must have earned a 3.0 or better GPA in their science courses for acceptance into these programs. Students applying for the Fall 2015 semester are advised to submit 7th semester (senior year fall semester) transcripts as more of their academic work will be provided as an assessment for admissions. For more information, please contact Marissa Bratton, Director of Admissions at 808-544-0249 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Prioritized Admission to Chaminade University
Graduates of Hawai‘i public schools applying for admission to Chaminade University will be accepted upon receipt of verification that they have earned the Board of Education Recognition Diploma (BOERD) with honors (3.0 GPA or better), with the exception of the nursing program. Applicants will need to submit their SAT/ACT scores as these scores in combination with their high school grade point average determine the amount of institutional merit scholarships that will be awarded to them. The minimum combined verbal and mathematics SAT score for unconditional admission is 920 or ACT 19. For more information regarding this incentive, please contact the Director of Admissions at (808) 739-8364 or toll-free 1-800-735-3733 and speak with Mrs. Sahuna Pimentel-Motooka.
4. The State of Hawai‘i B Plus Scholarship
In order to be eligible for the State of Hawai‘i B Plus Scholarship, recipients must have:
- Graduated from a public high school after 2005 in the State of Hawai‘i;
- Earned a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher based on high school transcripts;
- Completed a rigorous high school curriculum (earned the Board of Education Recognition Diploma (BOERD);
- Demonstrated financial need according to the Federal financial aid guidelines for students via completion and submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form;
- Proven to be a bona fide Hawai‘i resident for tuition purposes; and
- Completed the application for admission and been admitted to a UH campus
For more information click here or contact the UH System Scholarship Office by phone at (808) 933-7601 or by email at email@example.com.
5. Kamehameha Scholars Recognition Diploma Incentive
In order to be eligible for this incentive, Step up Scholars need to have signed up as a Kamehameha Scholar program participant and attain the Board of Education Recognition Diploma (BOERD) or BOERD with honors. Step Up Scholars who are Kamehameha Scholar program participants may qualify to receive additional monies toward the existing Kamehameha Scholars Merit Scholarship which is offered to all program participants who complete the requirements of the Merit scholarship.
For more information or to check if you are a Step Up Scholar and Kamehameha Scholar program participant please call us at 956-3879 or toll-free at 1-866-808-4327.
For more information on submitting a copy of your BOERD Diploma or BOERD with Honors Diploma, please contact Cara Baclaan at (808) 534-8351 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Youth Education Enrichment Scholarship - Boys and Girls Club of Hawai‘i
Graduates of Hawai‘i public schools may be eligible for the Youth Education Enrichment Scholarship if they have:
- Earned the Board of Education Recognition Diploma (BOERD) with a GPA of 2.5 or better;
- Been an active member of the Boys and Girls Club for at least one year;
- Been a participant in the Boys and Girls Club Leaders in Training program; and
- Completed a minimum of 80 hours of community service.
if you meet all the requirements listed above, please contact Boys and Girls Club of Hawai‘i at (808) 949-4203 to obtain the application.
7. Fukunaga Scholarship Foundation
In order to be eligible to apply for an award from the Fukunaga Scholarship Foundation, students must meet the following criteria:
- Earn the BOE Recognition Diploma with Honors (3.0 GPA or better).
- Impress fellow students, members of the faculty and members of the community as an individual deserving of an opportunity to begin or continue higher education and must have demonstrated personal attributes and the scholastic aptitude needed to achieve educational goals.
- Must have an interest in Business and have participated in school activities and community service which demonstrate leadership and responsibility
(see scholarship fact sheet on website for more information on majors and complete list of scholarship criteria).
- For more information and to download the application and fact sheet visit http://servco.com/philanthropy/scholarships.php
- Deadline has passed. If you have any questions please call Sandy Wong at (808)564-1386 or email email@example.com
8. Hawai‘i Carpenters or Drywall Apprenticeship Program
Individuals who apply for the Hawai‘i Carpenters or Drywall Apprenticeship Program will be waived the entrance math test when a copy of their Board of Education Recognition Diploma (BOERD) is submitted with the application during an open enrollment. Applicants waived the math test will continue to the interview process. For more information, please call the Apprenticeship and Training Office at (808) 848-0794, Ext. 5.
9. City Mill
City Mill Company, Ltd. will waive the pre-employment math test to any Graduate who has earned the Board of Education Recognition Diploma (BOERD) and they will be eligible to advance to the interview process. Your incentive letter that you received in the mail and a copy of the applicantʻs BOERD is required. If you have any questions or inquiries, please call the Human Resources Office at (808) 529-5805.
10. Hawaiian Electric Company, Maui Electric Company, and Hawai‘i Electric Light Company
Public school graduates who have earned the Board of Education Recognition Diploma (BOERD) and that apply for a Bargaining Unit job (i.e. Union job) with HECO, HELCO, and MECO will be invited to the next step in the hiring process (job sample test or interview) after successfully passing all entry level tests for that position. Graduate must submit copy of diploma during the application process for verification. If you have questions or inquiries, please send your name, contact information, and question to Cherry Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 956-3879 or toll-free 1-866-808-4327.
11. Island Movers
Graduates of Hawai‘i public schools who have earned the Board of Education Recogntion Diploma (BOERD) will be waived the pre-employment math test portion of the application and interview process. Island Movers Inc. has career paths starting with field work as drivers that can lead to office and supervisory work. For more information please contact Alexandra Mun at 832-4816 or by emailing email@example.com.